Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lighting the scene

After will applied the globe for the sky I set about putting my experimentation into practice within the scene proper. The directional got caught by the sky so it wasn't lighting properly. What I should have done here was set the geometry of the sky so that the light ignored it, but I did not realize this was an option so I used an alternative method, seeing as we were on a tight deadline. I used a gentle ambient like before, with a subtle yellow glow, and then I used a spot and manually directed it so it did not shine on the sky. Not the most efficient way of lighting for sure, but it does the job. Next time I'll use point lighting instead of spots I think. Also I'll set the sky geometry to ignore the lighting. I used area lighting to illuminate the billboard. I'm also going to look in to shadow mapping so I can get softer more natural shadows next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment